Friday, April 30, 2021

Hello Card - Scribble and Spritz Watercoloring

 Hello again, friends!  I guess today is a two-fer!  I saw a post by the incredible Erum (@glitternswirls) on the Altenew blog and I had to try it out!  (Blog post here).  If you know anything about me, you know watercoloring is my nemesis!  I just cannot seem to get the hang of it, no matter what I do.  You may also know that I am in awe of Erum's amazing talent, so I wanted to give this a try. 

This card uses the Scribble and Spritz Technique, and it looked like something I might be able to achieve some success with.  I started by heat embossing my very favorite stamps onto watercolor paper using clear embossing powder.  These floral images were perfect for some simple watercoloring, as they really don't need any detail added to them.   I then cut them apart so that when I added water, it didn't spread to the other flowers.  
Using the glorious Altenew Woodless Watercolor Pencils, I scribbled my color in very lightly and when I was done, spritzed the image with water.  To note, I was not careful in the least... I set the image aside to dry and moved on to the next.  Once they were done, if I wasn't happy with how the color moved, I added color directly from the pencil to a wet brush and applied it to the paper.  Once they were all dry, I die-cut them with the coordinating dies and set them aside to work on my card panel. 
To create my background, I lightly scribbled on a watercolor panel with my pencils.  I then spritzed it with water.  I think I added too much water, as there was very little color left on the panel.  Oops!  I added more with my paint brush and then used my heat tool to dry it.  I added some black liquid watercolor splatters to the panel. 
I arranged my flowers on the panel, and using Press 'N Seal to keep the arrangement in place, adhered them down to my card panel.  I embossed a sentiment from the Altenew Painted Butterflies stamp set onto a black strip and trimmed it down.  I adhered my panel to my card front and then added my sentiment strip with foam tape to give some dimension.  Lastly, I added some clear sequins for a bit of sparkle.  
Products Used:
  • Recollections 110# Card Stock:  White, Black
  • Altenew BAF: Coneflower Stamps and Dies
  • Altenew Painted Butterflies Stamp Set
  • Arches 300 gsm/140# Cold Press Wateecolor Card Stock
  • Altenew Woodless Watercolor Pencils:  Crimson, Rubelite, Heart Beat, Coral Bliss, Ultramarine, Lavender Fields,  Grass Field, Shadow Creek, Maple Yellow, Orange Cream, Dew Drops, Mountain Mist
  • Versamark Watermark Ink Pad
  • PinkFresh Liquid Watercolor:  Black
  • Wow! Embossing Powder:  Clear, Opaque Bright White
  • Simon Says Stamp Clear Sequins
  • Foam Tape

I am so excited to have found a watercolor technique that even I can make look pretty!  If you haven't checked out Erum's video, be sure that you do. 
Thank you for stopping by!  Have a fabulous weekend.  Happy Stamping! 
 


2 comments:

  1. This is amazing Kim! You cannot say you aren't good at water coloring because this is fabulous. I love the flowers and colors that you chose! Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow your cards are gorgeous! I have to admit your first card is my favorite. Probably a work of heart!
    Have a great week!
    Hugs, Joy

    ReplyDelete