Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Celebration Stencil Techniques - AECP Level 1

 Happy Tuesday!  I don’t know about you, but it’s been a week already!  It is days like these that I am so thankful to have a creative outlet.  I just finished my fifth course for the Altenew Educator Certification Program - Celebration Stencil Techniques.  

This class was a bit daunting for me at first, as I have only used stencils a few times, with very mixed results.  I have to admit that this course made me a believer!  I had so much fun working through the different lessons and using new techniques.  

To be honest, as I was creating my backgrounds, I wasn’t in love with them, but as I started building my cards, I grew to love them.  They are each very unique, and I found something to love about all of them.  In fact, it is really difficult for me to pick a favorite, so I decided I would share all three of them.  

For my first card, I focused on Lesson 2 - Stencils and Embossing Paste.  I was  really excited to try this on a card, as I had not done so previously,  

I began by smooshing my Altenew Grape Agate Ink pad on my silicone crafting mat and mixing Stampin’ Up Shimmer White Embossing Paste with the ink.  I laid the Altenew Bubble Wrap Stencil over my cardstock and I spread a thin layer of the tinted embossing paste over the stencil with a palette knife.   Once I was satisfied with the coverage, I peeled my stencil off and set it aside to dry. 

When my card panel was completely dry, I found that I was disappointed in how little color the embossing paste picked up, so I set it aside, not intending to use it.  A few days later, I picked it up and decided that I wasn't going to let it go to waste, and I would make a card with it, hoping that I would like it better once it was together.   I decided to try to keep it Clean and Simple again, since this is such a challenge for me. 

I die-cut my sentiment from black card stock using the Altenew Waterbrush Hello Die.  I stamped the "How Are U?" sentiment from the Altenew Label Love stamp set in Plum ink on a white piece of card stock and trimmed it down..  I then trimmed my stenciled panel down and adhered it to my card base.  Once that was dry, I attached the Hello sentiment using Bearly Art Precision Craft Glue and popped up my sentiment label using mini dimensionals.  To complete my card, I added some Honey Bee Stamps Obsidian Rhinestones.  

Imagine my surprise to find that I absolutely LOVE this card!  The textured background allows the sentiment to really pop, and it has the most beautiful shimmer, with just a hint of color. 

For my second card, I focused on Lesson 3 - Stamping with Stencils because it covered watercoloring through stencils.  I had heard this technique mentioned before, and really wanted to try it.  

I began by taping the Altenew Mega Rose Stencil to my panel of watercolor paper.  I saturated the paper with water using a brush and smooshed my inks on to my craft mat.  I used Altenew Crisp Dye Ink in Pinkalicious, Rubelite, and Razzleberry.  These inks are perfect for watercoloring.  I picked up my first {lightest) ink color with a wet brush and started to paint.  I continued adding the rest of my colors until the paper was covered and I was happy with the color placement.  When finished, I removed the stencil and allowed my panel to dry. 

I die-cut three square frames from Rose Gold card stock using Stampin’ Up’s Layering Square Dies, and cut the ‘Thanks” sentiment using Altenew’s Signature Words Dies out of black card stock and a Foam Adhesive Sheet.

Once my panel was dry, I trimmed it down and adhered it to my card base.  I arranged my die-cuts and when I was satisfied, adhered them.  To finish my card, I added some Obsidian Rhinestones.

Again, I am ridiculously pleased with how this card turned out.  I love the soft background and the depth that the watercoloring gave the colors.

For my last card, I used Lesson 4 - Stencil Overlay, because I love watercolor washes and was intrigued to see how it would turn out when stenciled over. This is the least favorite of my three cards, but it still turned out much better than I expected when looking at just the panel.  I decided to share it, even though I am not in love with it, as I wanted you to see my entire experience, 

For this card, I created a watercolor wash using Altenew Crisp Dye Inks in Plum and Pink Mauve.  When the panel was dry, I used my mini ink-blending tool to add Grape Agate ink over the Altenew Deco Wallpaper Stencil.  I really didn’t care for how the card panel turned out.  I had hoped for more vibrant colors.  I set this panel aside and had no intention to use it, but again, a few days later, I decided not to waste it, and see how it would look as a card.  

Because I didn’t like the coverage on the edges of the panel, I trimmed it down quite a bit, and cut a card base to fit, so it is really more of a notecard size. I die-cut a piece of Vellum using Stampin’ Up’s Layering Circle Dies and I heat embossed one of the images from Altenew’s Beautiful Peony stamp set in gold.  I colored the back of the Vellum using Stampin’ Up’s Stampin’ Blends Alcohol Ink Markers in Blackberry Bliss and Old Olive.  I die-cut the ‘Thanks” sentiment using Altenew’s Signature Words Dies out of black card stock and a Foam Adhesive Sheet.  I adhered the Vellum to my card panel using a tiny amount of glue, and placed my sentiment where it would help hold the Vellum in place.  I finished my card by adding some Honey Bee Stamps Small Clear Dew Drops. 

While it is not my favorite card, I was still pleasantly surprised with the results.  I am looking forward to trying this technique again using different colors.

Key Learnings:

  • It is difficult to tell what the finished product will look like based on the panel alone.  Don’t give up on it, because you could be missing out on a real thing of beauty! 
  • You can use what you have on hand and make your own stencils if you don’t have what you want!  
Products Used:
  • Recollections 110# Card Stock - White
  • Oat Art Studios 300f/140# Hot Pressed Watercolor Paper
  • Recollections 65# Card Stock - Black and Rose Gold
  • Vellum
  • Altenew Beautiful Peony and Label Love Stamp Sets
  • Altenew Waterbrush Hello and Signature Words Dies
  • stampin’ Up Layering Squares and Layering Circles Dies
  • Altenew Mega Rose, Bubble Wrap and Deco Wallpaper Stencils
  • Altenew Crisp Dye Ink: Grape Agate, Amethyst, Plum, Pink Mauve, Pinkalicious, Rubelite, and Razzleberry
  • Versamark Watermark Ink Pad
  • Stampin’ Up Gold Embossing Powder
  • Stampin’ Up Shimmer White Embossing Paste
  • Stampin’ Up Blends: Blackberry Bliss and Old Olive
  • Honey Bee Stamps Obsidian Rhinestones and Small Clear Dew Drops

Thank you for joining me on my creative journey!  Happy stamping!

1 comment:

  1. Lovely cards, Kim! I esp love that watercolour one!
    Thank you for submitting your wonderful work to the AECP assignment gallery.

    ReplyDelete