Saturday, February 27, 2021

All About Layering - AECP Level 1

 Today, I am sharing a card that I made for the Altenew Academy All About Layering Class.  This course was especially helpful for me, as I have a number of layering stamp sets, but have found lining them up to be quite a challenge.  I am sure that many of you can relate! 

If this is a struggle that you face, Nicole shares tons of tips and tricks for finding just the right way to identify what points you can utilize to stamp a beautifully layered image. 

For this card, I took my inspiration from multiple lessons; however, I chose to focus on Lesson 4.  In this lesson, Nicole uses masking to obtain a beautiful one layer image.  Masking is not something that I had done much of (mostly because I am lazy and can't be bothered to stamp my image and then have to fussy cut it each time I want to mask an image), and I was really wanting to give it a try.  I have to say that using the Altenew Masking Paper completely changed my opinion of masking.  More on this later!    I generally die-cut my images and then layer them, so I was really excited to learn and practice a new (to me) technique which will open up all sorts of options in my card-making journey! 

I just received my order from Altenew today, and I was really excited to give the masking paper a try!  I have tried using the Post-It Note method before (once or twice) and my results were never good, so as I mentioned earlier, I just decided die-cutting my images was easier.  Holy cow!  The masking paper made all the difference in the world!  It is a low-tack adhesive paper.  You stamp your image, cut it out, remove the backing and place it over the stamped image that you want to mask.  This allows you to stamp images "behind" the masked image, and not muddy the image.  The best part is, your mask is reusable!  I stuck the backing on it and put it in with my stamps until the next time I need it. Mind blown! 

I wanted to continue on with my Clean and Simple (CAS) efforts, since this has been such a challenge for me.  I had a concept in my mind, using the Build-A-Flower: Bellaroma Hybrid Tea Rose, but I wasn't sure if it would work.  I must admit that I am thrilled with this card! 

I began by playing with how I wanted my main image to appear on my card layer.  To be honest, I originally planned this out to be a top-fold vertical card, but after I had completed my stamping, I cut a new card base, as I thought it would look better as a horizontal card, and then I changed my mind again, and made a side-fold card.  

I stamped the outline of the rose in the darkest color of the Tea Party color family - Vineyard Berry, rather than in black, as I wanted a softer look.  I then stamped the solid layer in the lightest color - Pink Pearl.  I followed with stamping the largest detail stamp in Heart Beat, and the smallest detail layer in Coral Bliss. 

I placed my mask over my rose image and I lined up my leaf image where I wanted it and inked it up with Moss -  the darkest color of the Tropical Forest Color Family.  I cleaned the stamp and then determined where I wanted the second leaf cluster and again inked it in Moss and stamped it.   I then stamped the second (solid) leaf layer with Olive.  To be honest, I had intended to use Bamboo, but on the second leaf cluster, I accidentally picked up my Olive Ink Pad, so I went back and re-stamped over the Bamboo with the Olive.  I actually love the result, as it gave a really rich shade of green.  Lastly, I stamped the leaf detail image in Moss.

I wanted a very simple sentiment that would not detract from the rose, so I used the Best Sentiments Stamp Set and stamped it in Memento Tuxedo Black. I trimmed down the edges and adhered it to my card front. 

After adhering my panel to the card base, I added a little bling, because who doesn't love some sparkle?! This class was so incredibly helpful for me, as it has allowed me to embrace the layering stamps that I love so much and not be quite so fearful of them!  Some key learnings for me:  

  • Take the time to become familiar with the stamps and identify the points on each of the images that will help me to line them up.  
  • Mistakes can be miracles.  Embrace them!  
  • I can do Clean and Simple!  It is still a challenge; however, it was even easier this time!  I am learning to love white space, rather than fear it! 

Products used in this card:

  • Recollections 110# Card Stock - Dove White
  • Altenew Build A Flower: Bellaroma Hybrid Tea Rose stamps set
  • Altenew Best Sentiments Stamp Set
  • Altenew Crisp Dye Ink: Vineyard Berry, Heart Beat, Coral Bliss, Pink Pearl, Parrot, Olive, Moss
  • Memento Ink: Tuxedo Black
  • Altenew Masking Paper
  • Recollections Adhesive Backed Gems
  • Tombow Liquid Glue
Thanks so much for visiting!  I hope that you found something to spark your creativity! 




2 comments:

  1. Glad you discovered masking paper! In the masking class, you will learn how to perfect this technique even more! Your card looks fabulous. However, is there a way to increase the size of your thumbnail so we can see the your beautiful project better?
    Thank you for submitting your beautiful work to the AECP assignment gallery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Erum! I am looking forward to the masking course! That will be fun!
      I sent you an e-mail about the thumbnail. I will work on that! Thank you again.

      Delete